Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The new therapist and stuff

Today was Brooklyn's first therapy appointment with her new therapist since her old therapist moved. It went really well I think. Her office is very Brooklyn friendly, meaning microfiber furniture, a sandbox, and lots of cool toys. She seems really super nice too. Brooklyn actually spoke to her a couple of times, so that was pretty awesome.

I had to go through the "what brings you to therapy" speech again. Maybe I'll just record it on my phone so I remember to hit all the important details. I keep mentioning high functioning Autism and Aspergers to every therapist we meet, but so far other than a couple statements of "I believe Brooklyn IS on the spectrum" we're not really any close to a diagnosis.

I'm just hoping that eventually we'll get to a place where Brooklyn can at least be evaluated by an Autism expert.

Anyways, we're STILL waiting on the OT report. He said it would take him 2-3 weeks, well yesterday was the 3 week mark and I'm getting antsy. I think I'm going to wait until next week and then start calling.

Miss Brookie has her first day of school tomorrow! She's VERY excited, although I'm not sure if she remembers that I won't be staying with her. We packed her lunch for school, not exactly the healthiest choices: raisin bread, jello with pineapple, apple sauce, ritz crackers, and a fruit snack. I know what you're thinking, trust me. But, my options are limited and it's either send her with what I KNOW she'll eat or risk her not eating at all and going hungry all day.

We're going to go shopping this weekend and hopefully get some foods she'll actually eat. She has so many food aversions it makes sending lunch a chore, and there's NO WAY she'll eat what the school makes for lunch.

Oh, another cool thing, we've been scheduling the day like crazy. Every night before bed we talk about what the next day's schedule will be. We'll get up at this time, eat breakfast, get dressed, brush your teeth, etc. Everything is planned out so that she knows what will come next every step of the way. It's REALLY cut down on meltdowns. I'm just dreading the moment when things don't go as expected... But, we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment