Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Just having fun, or bullying?

I "follow" several local radio stations on facebook. They often post funny pictures, sometimes even of people. Tonight, one of them posted a picture of a woman without a neck and encouraged people to make funny comments about it. My great aunt was born without a neck. It's a birth deformity where the top of the spine doesn't form and the skull sits direct on the shoulders of a person. This causes all of the body parts that are normally in the neck to be pushed downward into the chest cavity.

I don't think the DJ of the station realized it was a birth deformity. I wrote him a message letting him know that I was really offended by his post, and that it's not funny to poke fun at someone with a deformity. I informed him that I have a special needs child who has a birth disorder and that I worry every day I send her out into the world that she's going to come into contact with CHILDREN who behave that way, and that I expected more from adults. I told him it broke my heart to see what these adults were saying about a person with a deformity.

He removed the picture and replied back that he didn't realize it was a deformity.

I understand that it wasn't his intention to poke fun at someone with a deformity, but what does it say about our society that the only reason he deleted it was because it was of a person with a deformity? It was still a picture of a person.

It just makes me sad. Regardless of WHY he posted the picture, it was still a human being he was poking fun at. And we wonder why kids are so cruel, look at the example being set for them! And there are times when I'm just as guilty. I've watched those "people of walmart" videos and seen the pictures and laughed at the people for wearing horrible outfits. I've gone to http://failblog.cheezburger.com/ugliesttattoos and laughed at the pictures. And there's really not a difference between going to those websites and laughing at people and doing it in real life.

I'm worried every time I send my kids to school that they're going to get picked on. It was never really much of a worry for me as a kid because 1. I really didn't care what people though and 2. I didn't have a problem fighting back when necessary (and even when NOT necessary, LOL). But, my kids aren't the same as me. Alayna really struggles with comprehending the normal joking that goes along with friendship and actual bullying. She's an easy target for bullies because she's different (2 years older and developmentally delayed) and because she doesn't have a strong personality. It would occur to her to fight back or stand up for herself. She's more likely to just take it and ignore it. Aiden is VERY sensitive, but I know he'll stand up for himself if need be. Brooklyn... That's another story. She's unpredictable. I never know if she's going to burst into hysterical tears or beat the hell out of the person. Either way though, no ones going to get away with messing with her.

I just think we, as human beings, need to do better. We need to stand up for our fellow man, especially the underdog.

I leave you with this quote:

The greatest view into a man's soul (or a woman's soul) is to watch how they treat those weaker than themselves.

How do you want people to view YOUR soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment