Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hack All The Things: Kid-friendly music from Pandora


Morgan gets way to much attention on this blog. I want some attention too. I'm going to start posting some good family hacks for us low income families who are trying to make it and still want to be tech-capable or need to fix something quick.

First hack: Kid Friendly Music Time
Needed: Pandora and Pandora-capable devices
Also Featuring: K9 Web Protection

I don't like paying for music when I'm a broke dad. It makes me feel like I am spending money on a past time for their ears rather than food for their mouths. But I don't like the radio. There are too many mixed content bags on broadcast radio where you could be listening to a perfectly kid-friendly song then get something like Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night". No one wants a 4-year-old asking, "What's a mhuna-mhuna (ménage à trois)?"

Here comes Pandora! I have offered to have a computer in each of the kids' rooms equipped with K9 Web Protection so I can block everything but what I want them to see online. I can also stop the internet entirely after 8pm so they have to go to bed or suffer boredom. I setup Alayna's email address with Pandora, and set the Explicit Content Filter to "No" (Settings > Account > Explicit content filter) with only my email address able to remove it. Now whenever she goes into a Pandora-enabled app (Pandora.com, Pandora on Android, etc), she cannot receive explicit content. Beyond that, I told her I will remove any radio stations I deem inappropriate and she will be grounded anytime I find one. I have also agreed with her and Aiden that no radio stations are added without my knowledge. If it becomes a problem, I have another hack that can prevent them from changing anything on Pandora.com when they're on the site (sometime I'll show you how to do that).

My fav stations for the kids right now are:

  • They Might Be Giants (Children's)
  • Laurie Berkner
  • The Aquabats (Children's)
  • Caravan Palace
  • Beats Antique
  • Flogging Molly
  • Children's Indie (Genre)
  • Children's Folk (Genre)
  • Family Folk Songs (Genre)
There are plenty of others. You'll have to find the ones you feel are appropriate. Remember that the explicit content filter will not go through a song and deem it unsuitable if it has questionable subject matter, such as kissing same sexes or smoking and drinking. It leaves out swear words or removes songs flagged as explicit, which is not always the same as your own definition of "explicit".

For rooms without a computer, use the Pandora Android or iPad app on your phone or tablet. You can also use a streaming media player, like the Netgear NEO TV Streaming Player:



These boxes replace your cable or satellite box, or complement it, depending on what you like to watch. This is also a great streaming source for Netflix, Hulu Plus and YouTube, but the main function here is Pandora Radio. Roku was one of the first to make a commercial streaming player to rival cable/satellite television. I often recommend Roku streaming players over other brands.



You can even get Pandora in your car to provide family friendly audio entertainment on long drives. With four rambunctious kids, I expect at some point to get a deck that streams Pandora myself. But instead of spending $100+ on a car audio deck to play Pandora, why not use your iPhone or Android smartphone powered by the Pandora app and use an FM transmitter to send Pandora audio straight to your radio in your car, regardless of brand or connections?



Connect this to the headphone jack on your phone and use the MP3s you load onto it or Pandora to keep the kids interested in something other than fighting with each other all the way to grandma's.

It's this kind of stuff that keeps us sane. It does not have to cost a whole lot either; often you can use what you already have if you don't need radio coming through your car and TV speakers. It's just another way to tailor the audio in your life to your kids (or you and the spouse when you're having "time alone"). Don't spend your money on MP3s or CDs unless you want to listen to specific bands on demand, which is the only limitation of Pandora. Save that money for the mouths in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment