Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Couple in Vancouver found not guilty of "caging" two autistic boys

So, read that title again. Yep, CAGING two young autistic boys ages 5 and 7. I'm sure your blood is boiling right about now and you are thinking what you would do to these "parents" if you ever got your hands on them.

Now, consider that the boys weren't CAGED in the sense that you're thinking. They weren't put in dog kennels, actual cages, or anything of the like. A "cage-like door" was put on their bedroom door to keep them in one room when their dad and his girlfriend couldn't watch them.

Please keep in mind, I am in NO way,shape, or form condoning what these people have done. Do I think that the are "bad" parents? No, I think they are ill-equipped to meet the needs of two severely Autistic young children. These people were doing what they felt necessary to keep the boys, and their 2 other children safe.

In court, what came out was that the father and his wife fed the boys 3 times a day, their father went in and changed their diapers, played with them, cuddled them, loved them, they were allowed to watch TV, and they were home schooled. Nothing, out side of the "cage" door, else was going on. They were not neglected or abused in the sense that one generally thinks. Under NO circumstances do I believe that it is acceptable to LOCK a child into a room like they did (they had two metal wire closet shelves attached to the sides of the door and locked in the middle). It's most definitely a fire hazard and a HUGE safety issue.

What I don't get is why it went this far? We have children being beaten or their needs being neglected CPS is willing to work with them to correct this. They give them financial assistance, they offer them parenting support and classes. I know this first hand because I know of TWO different families who have had that type of "help" from CPS. Honestly, I think that this father loves his children, I think he truly wanted to take good care of them. But that he and his girlfriend didn't have a CLUE what that meant.

There are SO many services available, especially is larger areas like the Vancouver, WA/Portland, OR area. The Children's Home Society in Vancouver has amazingly helpful services including parenting support and classes. Innovations NW has a great therapy program for special needs children from birth to age 3 at which point children transition into their local school district program. There is Early Head Start which offers FREE evaluations for children ages birth to 3. From 3-5 (pre-Kindergarten) a child can get a FREE evaluation from their local school district. Once a child starts school a parent can request an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) evaluation, they don't even have to have a reason. Your child can be getting straight As and have a PERFECT record and you still have the right. The school then has 30 days to perform their evaluations. Your pediatrician is another GREAT resource.

I have a "special needs child". I understand what it feels like knowing that your child is a potential "danger" to your other children. When Brooklyn is not on her medication she is very impulsive and tends to react aggressively, especially towards Aiden. I can only imagine what it would be like to have a child with the safety comprehension of a 1 year old and the body of a 5 or 7 year old... Baby gates were worthless in my house by the time my kids were a year old, they would just climb them.

The difference here is that I would NEVER consider locking my child in a room to keep either her or her siblings safe. She did almost 8 months of behavior modification therapy in 10-11 and in 2 weeks starts a new behavior modification program. I've spoken to her pediatrician several times about my concerns, I make sure she gets her medicine every day, I keep a VERY close eye on her, and I've already spoken to her school about her starting Kindergarten in the Fall. I've done my research on how to best help her. I don't consider myself abnormally smart or an exceptionally great parent. I think I'm fairly intelligent and I do my best as a parent.

I think these boys are better off in a home with parents who CAN and WILL meet their needs. Who will make sure they're in therapy to help them reach their full potential, who will work with them daily and let them SAFELY explore their world in the hopes of finding a way to cope in it. Do I think these parents deserve jail time? No. I think they are probably better off raising their typical developing children and visiting with the special needs boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment