Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

School

With only 13 days of school left we're in the home stretch. We have 60 lessons left to complete, 18 Language Arts lessons (4 of which are spelling tests we just need to go back over so Aiden can pass with more than 80%), and 40 Art lessons. Personally, I hate teaching Art, I don't get it. Sure, there are some pretty pictures, and sometimes it amazing to know that it started as a thought in someone's head, but that's about it for me. So I've been putting off Art. I try to make Joe teach as much of it as possible, seeing as he's an actual artist.

I'm so proud of Aiden though. He's grown so much over this last year. Our plan is to knock out a minimum of 4 lessons for each school day that's left, and we'll probably do a couple lessons over the weekends as well just to be safe. He just finished Robin Hood the novel, which he thought was pretty cool.

We are definitely re-enrolling in Washington Virtual Academy (WAVA) next school year. Aiden's hopeful that he'll be able to start fourth grade math in the Fall.

Here's my idea for the older kids during the summer:
Reading: 1 small-medium size chapter book per week (equivalent of Diary of a Wimpy Kid) or 1 medium-large size chapter book every other week.
Writing: a 10 minute journal entry a minimum of 5 days a week (working on spelling, punctuation, grammar, and hand writing skills).
Math: 3-5 lessons a week.

The great part here is that Aiden and Alayna can do everything together. The Math lessons are all 3rd grade level, which about 50% of it will be review for Aiden and a majority of it will be review for Alayna as well, but it'll also help her from loosing anything over the summer before the start of 4th grade.

I'm SO excited to start in the fall though. I will have a MUCH better plan going into this next school year than I did this school year. Now I know what works and what doesn't. I wont be as over whelmed when I see 600+ lessons that need to be done, LOL. Mostly I'm just glad that Aiden's education is going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment