Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Living by values

Please don't let yourself forget the values that you hold dear, the foundation rules upon which the rest of your life is built. Just because someone claims your values don't fit your environment, remember that values are adaptive, mesh with their surroundings, not chained by the situations in which they find themselves.

I have found myself in a barren field, no trees or other landmarks. I see my values in the distance, briefly, a glimmer in the wavering skyline. I catch a glance of them now and then, but lately I have left them behind, following the values of others. Without them, my clothes have no color, my skin no light. I might as well blend in with the grass.

I am grabbing hold of them again. With me trying to build up my kids in values that will follow them throughout life, I cannot tell them to stay true to themselves when I know not where my own values hide.

A customer the other day asked me the meaning of life, as a joke, and I didn't have a typical, predetermined quip as a response. Instead I had a mumbling moment. Since then, I tried to remember what my responses were. But I came up with something better, closer to the truth than anything else I've heard.

The meaning of life is to be your experience.

To you, it's your values that matter most. Don't pretend your life is any different. When you can admit you live your life to experience what you want to experience, you've found a purpose more meaningful than anything else, yet it encompasses everything.

So let your life be an experience only you can have.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment