Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Car seats...

So, I'm in several parenting groups on facebook, they are either about homeschooling or related to the special needs of my daughters. One of the groups is a group for parents of kids with sensory issues. I can tell you I have learned a TON in that group, but I've also been overwhelmed or thought "WTF!" (as in, those people are crazy, LOL). I can admit it. But, my child doesn't seem to have as severe of sensory issues, so I have no idea what I would do if it were me.

Anyways, today a woman asked about car seats for her daughter. She stated that her daughter hated both seats they have (the scenera and a my ride 65). She said that her daughter said that they hurt her back and her butt and she doesn't like the straps. The woman said that she had tried the strap covers, but that her daughter just took them off.

Here's my reply, WORD FOR WORD:

The Sceneras are really uncomfortable. There's NO padding between the seat cover and the shell of the car seat. I'd suggest taking her to Babies R Us or Toys R Us and letting her sit in some to see which she prefers.

Also, please do NOT put anything on the car seat that didn't come with it. Even those strap covers are a no-no unless they come directly from the car seat manufacturer.

Apparently this SET HER OFF! She became very rude and nasty, in an attempt (I think) to try to get the admins involved and get ME kicked out. I was very nice, I restated my opinion on the Scenera and again suggested she may want to take her daughter to try out car seats to see if there's a specific one she likes. The woman CONTINUED to try to start a fight with me, so I just responded with: "I gave my suggestions, and my advice. You can continue to nit-pick and be nasty, that's fine. I hope you find a car seat that works for your child." The freaking woman STILL had comments...

Here's the thing what it comes down to is that car seat choices are often left up to parents to decide. But, if you're going to ask specifically about car seat advice, expect to get information, including some you may not be happy with or that may go against what you're currently doing. Do you HAVE to listen to suggestions/advice? No. But, if I have information that can help protect your child and you didn't previously know it, wouldn't you WANT to hear it?

Any additions to a car seat (head rests, strap covers, seat covers, etc) are ALL unsafe UNLESS they came WITH the car seat OR directly FROM the car seat manufacturer. This doesn't make sense to some people. How can something so small effect the way a car seat works? Well, it may or may not, THAT is the issue. These items haven't been tested WITH the car seat. Do you want to risk your child's life? I don't! Strap covers and head rests that go around the straps can effect how the straps fit on the child's body. Just a little bit of "wiggle room" in the strap can result in deadly consequences in the event of a crash. Seat covers that go between the baby's body and the seat or that go around the straps can have the same effects. Why risk it? ALL car seat manufactures state that if it didn't come WITH their seat NOT to use it because it hasn't been tested. I certainly don't want my child used as a crash test dummy, do you?

If rear facing your child to age 2 (or even older) makes them over 5 times safer in the car, why wouldn't you? If keeping them in a 5 point harness longer keeps them safe AND there are car seats on the market that allow you to keep your child in a 5 point harness to 5,6, or even 7 why wouldn't you? If putting your child in a booster seat until they are 4'9" (which is the average height at which a seat belt will fit properly) or until they fit a seat belt properly, will protect them better in an accident, why wouldn't you?

Cars aren't made with small children's bodies in mind. They are made to fit a full grown adult. I have trouble fitting a in seat belt properly at 5'. I have a scar on my left shoulder from a seat belt injury during a car accident. There are so many things on the road that are out of your control. I'm not going to risk my child's life if I have the ability to make them safer in the car. I'm not talking about wrapping them in bubble wrap or never taking them into the car. I'm talking about using products, and new updated information, to keep your child safe in the car.

My mom says all the time that when she was a kid they didn't have car seats, heck my brother and sister were out of car seats by 3 or 4. But, you also have to consider that there are more people on the roads now, there are more distractions (specifically cell phones), and that speeds are higher.

You don't have to take my advice. There's no law requiring you to do so. But, if you are going to ASK for car seat advice, don't get your panties in a bunch if/when the advice you get goes against what you are doing. And don't assume that any ONE person knows everything. There are many "rules" for car seats that don't apply to different brands, or some that have specific "rules" for just their seats. Do your research and make the best EDUCATED decision for YOUR child.

State laws only require that you use car seats properly according to manufacturer's guidelines. It's up to you, the parent, to know the guidelines and do what's right for your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment